My girlfriend has medical insurance through her workplace,

Customer Question
My girlfriend has medical...

My girlfriend has medical insurance through her workplace, however, it does not cover any dental procedures. She had a wisdom tooth removed about a week ago. During her consultation, the office was informed that she did not have dental insurance and that she would be paying out of pocket. The consultation cost $250 which was paid up front during her consultation visit. During the consultation she was told that because the tooth was above the gum line, she would not need anesthesia. She would be numbed and the total cost would come to $240. The appointment was set for 2 weeks after the consultation. The appointment came and the dentist had found a cyst behind her wisdom tooth. She proceeded to take the cyst out without getting consent or even notifying my girlfriend that there was even a cyst there until the procedure was over. Afterwards, the dentist proceeded to tell her that there was a cyst and they are going to send it to the lab to make sure it wasn't cancerous. My girlfriend walked up to the counter to pay. There, the receptionist told her the cost was $800+ because of the cyst. My girlfriend said in her consultation she was told to bring $240 and there was no talk of a cyst. The receptionist started yelling and screaming making a big scene in the office making smart remarks such as "we just did all this work on your mouth and you can't afford to pay?!?!" "I don't care about this stupid cyst I will throw it in the trash since you can't pay." The other receptionist had to tell her to knock it off and to calm down. My girlfriend became so upset she started hysterically crying which prompted the dentist to come out and remove the receptionist from the room. She still has her job and my girlfriend has been upset everyday for the past week she doesn't even want to leave the house and did not go to her check up appointment because of it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is*****'ll be happy to help you but I want to clarify what your question is so that I'm actually answering your question. Could you just please restate what your question is.

Can I sue for this and would it be worth it ?

You can't sue for this - it's not your cause of action. Your gf could sue for emotional distress but I highly doubt it would yield very much. I could easily tell you it would but I would be lying to you. I know that's not what you want to hear. People act like j*rks on a daily basis but it unfortunately doesn't necessarily make it actionable.

What if I refuse to pay the rest of the money? and what about her taking the cyst out without permission?

Y​ou can refuse to pay the rest of the money - unless your girlfriend signed something stating that if they find something during the procedure she was authorizing them to move forward with removal or the like.

If she didn't sign anything like that and you didn't authorize an additional expense then you are under no obligation to pay for work you didn't authorize.