My adult son tented a computer from Aaron's and has only…

Customer Question
My adult son tented...

My adult son tented a computer from Aaron's and has only made one payment. He used my address on the application which is not his place of residence. A representative from Aaron's was just here and said they are going to treat this as a theft and since it was my address on the application that they would contact the sheriff to pursue this and that they could come into my house whether I was home or not to search for the computer. That they could punch my lock and enter. I was wondering if this is true? The computer is not here and I know nothing about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

Thank you for your question. What they are doing is illegal. They are using strong-arm tactics to get him to pay, and they can't just enter your place of residence. That's totally illegal, and they're trying to scare you and your son. They also figure if they scare you, you might be able to reason with your son to pay them more.

They are harassing you and you can complain to the Better Business Bureau about them, and you can also rate them on Yelp and Trip Advisor so that people know to stay away from them. Be careful not to say anything defamatory if you do write something, so make sure to just state the facts, that they came to your house and intimidated and threatened you. That is true. Truth is not defamation, so you can state that if you so desire. If not, don't have to rate them, but what they're doing is definitely illegal and they're harassing you.

I would definitely at least complain to the BBB.

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Let me know if you need names of lawyers and I can help you if you let me know where you live.Thanks!

FamilyAttorney