Can a tax lien prevent me from getting a new job offer?

Customer Question
Can a tax lien...

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes on 9/14. Working on Offer in Compromise. Already granted a CNC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the best offer I can make on the $12385 that I owe for Federal Taxes? I know the CNC shows they know I can't pay this amount but what is a good offer to get it removed?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

It may if the employer asks to check your credit. While this is not common, employers more and more ask to see your credit score as part of your job application. If so, then the score is part of their consideration for employment, because (supposedly) it helps to establish a person's ability to manage finances, trustworthiness, etc.

Since the lien lowers your credit score, its impact on the score can then cause it to indirectly have lower job prospects. However, the employers that do this are almost exclusively government contractors, and high end financial firms. Your common company does NOT.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ok. What is a reasonable offer in compromise to pay the tax to get the lien removed?
Did you get my question above?

Unfortunately, the IRS rarely compromises well. However anything around 60% is a good offer. BUT... if you get a good attorney, then they can possibly settle for MUCH less (even as little as 15%). Use counsel here - you'll be glad you did.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"