I just called a doctor's office to get my entire records…

Customer Question
I just called a...

I just called a doctor's office to get my entire records sent to another doctor. They just advised me that they cannot send the entire records, as some are from another doctor. Yes, some are from a doctor that I saw, who retired and I have no other way of obtaining these records. These are very specific records that involved 2 surgeries that my future doctor needs to be aware of. How can I obtain all of my records?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I just got off the phone. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sorry, I got off the phone with the doctor's office.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. Is this doctor (the one you're trying to get records from) in your state?

If the answer to the question is yes, and frankly even if it's not, I'd go down to the doctor's office and demand your records. You're entitled to the entire file of records they have on you whether or not the records were "produced" at that office. In other words, if you went to Quest to get your lab work done and those results were sent to your doctor - you wouldn't have to go to Quest to get those results, you'd get them from your doctor! Does that make sense?

Hi. Just wanted to check back in to make sure I answered your question. If you need any clarification on anything please let me know and I'd be happy to clarify!