A dear friend of mine was stalked for several years by a man…

Customer Question
A dear friend of...

A dear friend of mine was stalked for several years by a man in town. She called the police several times, but never had videotaped or actual proof it was him. Although, she knew it was. We had all experienced it with her. He'd creepishly show up EVERYWHERE! He tried to lure her daughter, urinated in her car and would always show up at the most random places. It was terrifying. Although she never had the chance to get a restraining order filed, someone else has one filed against him for a similar situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

About two years ago, she started dating this man. And one night they walked into a bar and she said oh we got a leave the stockers here. Her boyfriend went up to the man asked him who he was and if he knew his girlfriend. The man said yes. Then her boyfriend punched him right there in the barn. After that the man filed a restraining order, then sued her boyfriend for pain and suffering along with another gentleman. Even though the day after he was punched he was Out in Vegas partying at an Aerosmith concert. Her boyfriend ended up settling the case paying him $10,000. Over the punch. Sense, there has been no threat her boyfriend that wants nothing to do with him it's not as if he has any intentions of ever speaking to him again. But this past summer the stocker has had her boyfriend arrested for times, at huge public events. Like the fair, or a big street party. They have discussed this in court and my friend got up on the stand and told her story of the terrifying stocking this man did. Yesterday the stocker had her boyfriend arrested for a fourth time, he has no bond. I feel now like the stocker is still harassing her and stocking her by continuing to get her boyfriend arrested if he sees him anywhere in public

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sorry for all the miss spells, it's voice text. I feel like she should get an attorney or he should get an attorney and go against the stocker, who is clearly just trying to make their lives miserable. He's not afraid of her boyfriend he just wants to continue to ruin her life. Considering he already has a permanent restraining order filed against him from someone else do they have any argument? Does your boyfriend have any rights?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question today. Stalking and harassment are criminal offenses , so the stalking should have been reported to law enforcement earlier but can still be done by filing a police complaint.

This is State prosecution and needs to go through law enforcement channels; it could also be reported to the District Attorney's office.

In relation to the arrests that have taken place. If they involved false reports or an abuse of the criminal justice system, your complaint can also be prosecuted under crimes against the administration of justice, including filing a false police report.

To pursue a civil action against the stalker the boyfriend might have a case for suing under the tort of malicious prosecution.

Please follow up with me until you have all the information you need.

I'm an independent legal expert that relies on your positive feedback to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer