My ex flatmate had our tv in her home,it was stolen does she…

Customer Question
My ex flatmate had...

My ex flatmate had our tv in her home,it was stolen does she still owe me the money when saying she will pay me to keep it.TV was bought on her account but i have communication via text saying that the tv belongs to both of us. She states the breakdown of what she owes in a text. The says weeks later that she made a mistake with the info.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It would be in Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes a claim for the amount. I then received 535 when 1000 was the amount in the text

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I could send the text if need be? and any communication?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the property was jointly owned and she lost it or it was damaged in her care, she owes you for your share of the ownership, whatever that is. Of course, if you have no written documentation on what you are due, then you would still need to put some evidence together, even if it is just text messages to prove your claim and you would file it in small claims court in AZ without any attorney to seek to recover your money due for the property she lost.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

is this the case even if it wa stolen and she has a police report but it says no forced entry?
and also that the tv was bought on her account but says in texts that it was owned by both of us?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is the case even if it was stolen, it was in her care and no proof of any burglary, she is liable. The text admissions would prove the deal between the two of you.

One last question regarding the deposit for our apartment.In the contract it says it's half refundable, but I'm not even listed that I paid any. So again it was on her name.
And she then says she pays me my full amount of deposit back. What am I entitled to?

Thank you for your reply.

You are entitled to what the contract states, that is the binding document, so if it says it is half refundable, that is the binding contract.

even if my name is ***** ***** the contract and she states that i will receive the full deposit back?

You said the contract you had with her is 1/2 the deposit and if it says that, then that is what you would be entitled to if that is what the two of you agreed upon, but her verbally changing any written contract would not be allowed, even with a text.

She signed a contract and i moved im later not signing anything besides a deposit on my side. The text she sent now was for the full refund of the deposit.The original contract only has her signature on it as i had moved in at a later stage.

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, so if she is offering the full deposit back to you, then that is up to her. If you paid the full deposit, then that is what you should be entitled to.

as at no stage do we have any written agreement between the two us. the only agreement is with her and the landlord.
she doesnt want to pay the full amount back so my only query is what i am entitled to
thank you for being such amazing help.

Thank you for your reply.

You would be entitled then to what the two of you verbally or in text message agreed upon. So if you agreed upon full amount and she initially agreed to that in a text, then that is what you would be entitled to.