On a motion to claim exempt property, do i include bank

On a motion to...

On a motion to claim exempt property, do i include bank accounts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have a judgment and was served with the motion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sons have 2 car thats in my name, how do i list them?

9/28/2017
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Unfortunately bank accounts are not directly exempt from creditors in the State of North Carolina. The types and amounts of property that are exempt from creditors are set forth in North Carolina Statutes Section 1C-1601. Under these provisions a debtor is allowed to exempt $35,000 in the equity of a residence. But if you don't use this $35,000 exemption, you are them allowed to exempt from creditors $5,000 in any type of property whatsoever. So if you don't use the $35,000 of exemption for your residence, you could list a bank account up to $5,000.

With respect to a car, you are allowed to exempt up to $3,500 in equity in any one vehicle. So, you would not be able to list both vehicles. But you can list one of the cars, and you would be entitled to a $3,500 exemption for that car.

For detailed information on the exempt properties you can claims, I encourage you to read the statute listed above, as well as: What Property is Exempt from Seizure after a Judgment in North Carolina?

I hope this information helps.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney