Am trying to find information on my alimony. My attorney…

Customer Question
I am Teresa and...

I am Teresa and am trying to find information on my alimony. My attorney tells me my ex has 30 days. My payments are due on the first of the month and is 500.00 a month. I received a 200.00 payment this past Saturday. The attorney told me he has to be completely 500.00 late for 30 days. I am on disability and cannot work. I am deformed from lyme disease. He abandoned me at my worst time. I depend on this support to live. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama, and please do not put with with another attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It was court ordered, but my attorney will not do anything until he is 30 days late and a total of 500.00. Meaning I can't do anything right now because he sent me 200.00 22 days late.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but I DO NOT have the money for advice. I have cried so much over how I am going to manage now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your attorney is correct that he must be late by 30 days to file, but I disagree with your attorney about being late by the whole amount. If your ex does not pay what is due in full each month, he is in contempt of court. Your attorney is going based on the premise he does not want to run to court every month when your ex is late and he is partially correct. My suggestion, and I know you need the money so please do not get upset, if he does not pay the full amount and pays less than everything due the following month, you push your attorney to file an Order to Show Cause for Contempt for HABITUAL late payments, which is different than just being late one month, it argues a pattern of conduct of your ex that violates the court order.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney