Leaving a term relationship with home that is owned

Customer Question
Leaving a long term...

Leaving a long term relationship with home that is owned together, what are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.Can you provide a few more details? For example, are you married? If not, do you own the property as tenants-in-common or joint tenants?
Not married, not sure of the difference between the two terms. But I believe we bought the property jointly.
No thanks
Tj, what are my rights as it applies to the disposition of the property?

Hello again.

It sounds like you are a 50% owner of the house, which means you I have equal rights to use the house. In addition, you can sell your interest in the house. Finally, if you no longer wish to own the house with the other co-owner, and you can't find anybody who wants to buy just half of an interest in a house, which is understandable, then you can file a petition in the court to force a sale of the house. This is called a partition lawsuit.

But if you intend to keep your interest in the house, then you really need to find out for certain whether you own the property as joint tenants or tenants in common. This is important because if you own the property as joint tenants, then that means that if you were to die, then your interest in the house would automatically go to the co-owner. In other words, you would not be able to give your share of the house to your heirs. This however is not a problem if you own a property as tenants-in-common. You can find out how you own the property by reviewing the deed itself. The deed should State specifically whether it is a joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Thank you.
You are quite welcome.  Thank you for using this service, and  please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars  (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!).  Thank you.  :)
Hello again.  I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.