I just received an Order to show cause notice for failure to…

Customer Question
I just received an...

I just received an Order to show cause notice for failure to attend jury service. I have always responded and served and I did see any notice on this one. What can I do? Am I in trouble?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California Riverside County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have an order to appear on Oct 2\ 27

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Here is the letter

Yes, you are in potential trouble. A summons for jury duty is a court order. If you ignore it, then you can be sanctioned, fined, or jailed for contempt.

Your court date is a hearing where you'll be expected to give a good reason for your failure to appear as scheduled. If you never got the notice, that's what you're going to have to say. Let the judge know that you have always responded in the past to jury notices, that you have served on juries, and that you'd never deliberately avoid your civic obligations.

Apologize profusely and let the judge know you're willing to serve. Be prepared to do so. It should be okay.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.