A lawsuit was brought against me for failing to fulfill a…

Customer Question
A lawsuit was brought against...
A lawsuit was brought against me for failing to fulfill a consulting contract w a company in 2008. Now the owner who served me has sold his company. Is the suit now null and void?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience on this. Unfortunately, the law treats companies as individuals. Therefore, if the company is sold, any money that is owed to them or any active lawsuits in which they were involved or not extinguished. The only way that the lawsuit would be extinguished would be if they dismissed the case altogether. Even if the company closed shop, the Old Company owners or the new company owners could still collect on the judgment on the company's behalf.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.