Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

It turns out it is a Commercial Lease Contract in the state

of Florida and the LandLord...
It turns out it is a Commercial Lease Contract in the state of Florida and the LandLord says that there is no guidelines when it comes to store the security deposit like when it comes for Residential rental in Florida. This means the Section 83 of the statute no longer applies for commercial properties. I am trying to find favorable security deposit terms for myself, since I don't want my security deposit to be mix with other funds of the LL. There is no law for Commercial Leases in Florida that could avoid it?
9/27/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello again,

.

Unfortunately, if this is a non residential tenancy, (i.e. a commercial one) then FL Statutes 83.49 doesn't apply as it is only for residential tenancies.

.

There is nothing under the non residential tenancy statutes in FL, 83.01 to 83.25 that states that the landlord has to keep those funds separate from his own funds.

.

He is still liable to you at the end of the tenancy the same as with a residential tenancy though.

.

.

thanks

FL Statutes Chapter 83 as I can see online part 1 applies for non-residential as well. I still have room to negotiate the security deposit clause, right?

Correct, 83 governs landlord tenant relationships overall.. But the security deposit rules are under the residential section.

.

But yes, you can always try to negotiate with the landlord if it is that important to you that the funds be kept separate.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Thank you very much. Really appreciate your help.
Irwin Law
Phone call session started
Barrister, Attorney