My girl friend is getting welfare. And the child support…

Customer Question
My girl friend is...

My girl friend is getting welfare. And the child support department are asking me to pay child support for the kids. If we tell them we are leaving together and do not need welfare any more, are they gonna charge my girl friend with welfare fraud?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

I do not get welfare my girl friend did.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the two of you recently moved in together, then she needs to update them on the change in order to see if she is still eligible for benefits. But if the two of you were living together at the time she was getting the benefits and she didn't mention that you were part of the household, it is possible that she could be charged with fraud. She might also be required to repay any benefits she received that she wouldn't have been entitled to if they'd known that you lived with her.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

She applied when we were leaving apart, but then start leaving together, she just asked the welfare office to stop the benefits she is getting, the kids are born even before i moved to the US

Then that's not fraud. You might still be required to pay support for the time you weren't living with her, when the kids were getting benefits.

i just find out the kids are mine, the whole time she did not tell me that they are mine. And she did not had social security or any kind of id

Legally, I'm afraid that doesn't make a difference. The children have a right to be supported by both parents, whether you knew they were yours or not. Public policy says that, when possible, children should be supported by their parents and not by the government. Any time a woman with children is receiving public assistance, the state has a right to seek reimbursement from the father in order to (a) avoid tax increases on everyone and (b) ensure that the programs are able to continue operating.

Is there a way of avoiding with charge of fraud in my girl friend's case.She is not charged yet, she instructs to stop the welfare recently and i have to go to the child support office soon and there we are planning to tell them we are leaving together and no need for child support, will this trigger a fraud investigation, any suggestion based on your experience?

Fraud requires evidence that she intentionally took money she wasn't entitled to. If she was lawfully receiving benefits before you moved in and she notified them once you started living with her, that's not fraud. She shouldn't be charged.

Do you have any other questions about this?