What is the first step I should take when someone owes me…

Customer Question
Hello good morning what...

Hello good morning what is the first step I should take when someone owes me money

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TX Houston

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO I have not done any thing yet its 1250.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just some advice I am 69 yrs old he is a bully making my life hell

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Typically, a demand letter is a good way to start. You can send it certified mail and ask that they pay you what is owed and show them why it is owed. The goal is to make it clear to them they owe you this money, you want this money and they need to pay you the money by _____ date. If they fail to do so, you could then proceed to small claims court and ask the clerk of court, for the forms to fill out and file, to start the process. They will be served and will need to appear and both parties will present their arguments. You can also consider settling with them and propose an amount that is less than what is owe but you will be willing to accept, if they pay it in a lump sum.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!