Question if you involved in a civil lawsuit and you are

Customer Question
Question if you involved...

Question if you involved in a civil lawsuit and you are giving a offer and you refuse the offer you go to court and lose the case do you have to pay the defendants lawyers fee

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No my lawyer said he needs 2000.00 to litigate it and if we go to court i may have to pay the defendant lawyer fees if we lose the case because we turned down the offer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

As a general rule, each party is responsible for their own attorney fees, unless there is an agreement in place stating otherwise, or the fees are covered by statute.

Otherwise, you would not be liable for any other attorney fees besides your own.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if your question was answered satisfactorily.

FLORIDA LAW DOES NOT STATE IF YOU LOSE IN COURT YOU MUST PAY THE OTHER SIDE ATTORNEY FEES IN A CIVIL CASE

Correct.

Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist. I believe that this is what you are looking for:

Section 45.061 Florida Statutes, authorizes a court to award costs and attorney's fees to a litigant who rejects a settlement offer, as follows: "An offer shall be presumed to have been unreasonably rejected by a defendant if the judgment entered is at least 25 percent greater than the offer rejected, and an offer shall be presumed to have been unreasonably rejected by a plaintiff if the judgment entered is at least 25 percent less than the offer rejected." 45.061(2)(b) F.S.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Note: A similar law is provided by Section 768.79 Florida Statutes.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!