Am I responsible for a document I signed if I am legal blind…

Customer Question
Am I responsible for a...
Am I responsible for a document I signed if I am legal blind and they ?did not read it to me
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Unfortunately, your blindness and the fact that the contract was not read to you by the other party would not be grounds to release your from the obligations of the contract. Whenever anyone signs a contract, regardless of their visual acuity, it is their responsibility to read the contract, or have the contract read to them so that they understand the terms. And once a contract is signed, the signature acknowledges your consent to abide by the terms of the contract. The other party has no obligation to read the contract to the other person even if that person is blind. However, if the other party fraudulently represented what the written terms of the contract were while knowing that you were blind, then you might be able to claim that you were fraudulently induced into signing the contract and thus void the contract.

Thomas