I SIGNED A DOCUMENT TO PAY OVER $20,000 FOR A NEW ROOF.. aT…

Customer Question
I SIGNED A DOCUMENT...

I SIGNED A DOCUMENT TO PAY OVER $20,000 FOR A NEW ROOF.. aT THE TIME I DID NOT READ IT BECAUSE I AM LEGALY BLIND. THEY DID NOT READ IT TO ME,THEY JUST POINTED TO SIGN AND I SIGNED IT. WILL I BE RESPONSIBLE?I

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FLORIDA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO ONLY A PERMIT WAS PULLED

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

MY WIFE IS ON THE TITLE OF THE HOUSE DOES SHE NEED TO SIGN ALSO

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are married in FL, you had authority to sign for repairs as agent for your spouse unless the contractor had prior notice that you had no authority to sign. Legally, when someone enters into a written contract under FL law, the other party does not have to read the contract to the party, it is the signing party's obligation to read the document before signing if they choose to do so. Under FL law, a signature on written contracts implies that the party has read the contract, understood the contract and agrees to the terms. If a party signs such a contract, they are bound to the contract, that is what written contracts are for.

So, I am afraid that if you signed the contract, you will be bound to the terms UNLESS the contractor does not do what they agreed to do pursuant to the terms of the contract. If the contractor does not uphold their end of the agreement, then you can terminate the contract based upon their breach of the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney