A condominium board sued me over money I owed and was

Customer Question
Hi,a condominium board sued...

Hi,a condominium board sued me over money I owed and was awarded some sum of money by New Jersey court.I send a check every month.Next year I'm planning to retire and pension will be only about $800 a month.In a legal brochure I have it says ''the court cannot levy on child support'welfare benefits'Social Security benefits.SSI,veterans'benefits or unemployment benefits''.I also have IRA account(about $30.000).Can they still collect money from me after I retired?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

That comment is a little misleading because the creditor can't garnish your benefits directly from SS or any retirement account like an IRA, but once they hit your bank account, then they could come after them by attempting to garnish your bank account.

.

And if they have a judgment, and you own your condo, they could potentially try to foreclose on it to force a sale if you had a good amount of equity in it..

.

If so, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy to discharge the debt it it is a considerable amount..

.

.

thanks

Thank you,as far as I understand I must provide court my accounts numbers

You are very welcome.

.

as far as I understand I must provide court my accounts numbers

.

Not unless they file for a "debtor's examination" where you go to court and answer questions or send you written questions from the court requesting that info..

.

So basically your best option here is to immediately withdraw your money from the bank the day it hits your account and only keep a tiny amount in it to avoid them trying to levy on it if you didn't want to file BK to discharge the debt entirely..

.

.

thanks

Thank you for your reply.I already filed for bk three years ago so it is not an option,and I can't withdraw money from IRA account with 10% fine and taxes but stiil with pension of $800.00 a month which is even less than welfare or SSI benefits would be can they still go after my money?Would court consider a small amount I have to live on?I don't owe condo anymore.

If you have it sitting in the bank, they can try to go after it.. They can't intercept it before it hits the bank, like with a wage garnishment direct from an employer..

.

An IRA is exempt and protected while it sits in the IRA account, but once it hits your personal account, it is fair game for them.

.

So there is nothing that would prevent you from opening up another bank account at a different bank to have that money go into as you are under no continuing obligation to report to the creditors about assets....only when asked through the courts.

.

.

thanks

Thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney