Can I ask you? I might need to hire an attorney. IL. No I…

Customer Question
Can I ask you...

Can I ask you? I might need to hire an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I reported it to the attorney general but no response

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No it's regarding a contractor installing siding

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please share what your question is?

I hired a contractor to install siding which was completed in dec 2016
in spring, learned they drove a nail through my a/c pipe. they initially said if it was a nail, they'd send their a/c out to repair. days went by in June and they started arguing I was full of it.

And now what is the situation? You want to know if they are obligation to repair this?

I hired the hvac company myself, found the nail after ripping out drywall and the only choice due to cose of losing all freon was a new system. It was on a sat so I had extra charges, total was 6000. NOw the owner of the siding company has mocked me on social media, refuses to pay and is trying to stir up trouble that I didn't pay him for extra work, refusing to reimburse me. What am I entitled to? I have the pic of the nail in teh pipe and a letter from the owner of the hvac stating it was a nail driving through siding.
What legally am I entitled to? Damages? The sidiing company contract guarantees labor and 100% satisfaction but now he is refusing to reimburse me. If I'm entitled to more, I'm going to go after him. He's caused so much drama online and harrassed me

Thank you. In a situation like this, if the siding company was negligent in the installation and work done, they could be liable. If you have evidence to show and support this, it would be hard for them to argue that they did not cause the nail to go through the a/c pipe and if you have the HVAC company to testify on your behalf and you can show the location of the siding work and how it was their nail which pierced this, you should be able to recover.

Would I be entitled to damages equal to cost to cure?
Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Your damages would be what he cost to cure and fix the damage done. If they refused to fix/repair this and you hired a third party to correct this you could recover for that as well

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney