Im in ohio.. My father passed away a few months ago and we…

Customer Question
Im in ohio.. My...

Im in ohio.. My father passed away a few months ago and we just found out his insurance is not going to pay. My aunt was the beneficiary and we both signed the funeral contract. Are we both equally responsible for the cost, or will it all fall on me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Nothing. I cont get anythi ng from the insurance co due to the fact that I am not the bene... My aunt is no help now that she knows she is not getting any cash from them. she will not even get me a copy of the denial letter. I am getting a bill from the funeral home for the full cost, I am not sure if she is also. I have asked the funeral home for a copy of the letter they received as well as a copy of the contract, but have not received them wither.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are we both equally responsible for the cost, or will it all fall on me?

.

You would both be entirely liable for the debt under the doctrine of "joint and several liability". What that means is that the funeral home could come after either of you or both of you for the bill if unpaid.

.

However, if you had an agreement with aunt to split the cost, that is enforceable as an oral contract so you could sue her for half the cost if you ended up paying it.

.

.

thanks

in short.. Im stuck with the entire bill?

Correct, you are liable for the entire amount to the funeral home... but you can go after aunt for half if she agreed to pay half..

.

I am sorry that the news isn't better.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much