I have a tenant that has damaged property in excess of

Customer Question
I have a tenant...

I have a tenant that has damaged property in excess of $7000.do I file small claims or some other court? Can I find a legal representative to handle this for me . I live out of state and the trips down would be very expensive and hard with work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pinellas County Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’ve sent a notice to retain security deposit and a demand for damages, they have moved out (2months early) . But nothing else done.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 10 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you can do this in small claims court, but you can also do it in regular court. The reason that I mention regular court is because small claims has a limit of $5,000 in Florida. If your claim is more (and you're not willing to limit what you're seeking) that would need to be brought in regular court. Now if you were to do small claims, many of them will allow you to "appear" by phone. That is, you call into the hearing so that you don't have to be there in person. But you'd want to check with the small claims court in that area to see if that's something that they would allow.

The first thing I would do, however, is to send a demand letter demanding payment within 30 days, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made a demand for the damages.

To go the small claims route, do a search on the web for the county where the property is located and "small claims court." You should find either a website or phone number to the small claims clerk. Ask them what you need to do to bring such a lawsuit. The small claims clerk will give you guidance on how to file this suit and how to get the other party served with notice. You will receive a hearing date, at which you should present your evidence and ask for a judgment for the amount for your damages. Again, this would need to be limited to $5,000 if you actually do that.

As you have additional damages, and I assume a contract that allows for attorney fees and costs to be paid, you should contact an attorney in the area that deals with breach of contract / landlord-tenant dispute cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in the area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in the area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Are you still there?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~30 minutes now) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.