In 1977 I was charged with marijuana possession with intent…

In 1977 I was...

In 1977 I was charged with marijuana possession with intent to distribute. I was on probation for one year I was denied a gun purchase although state of MD approved my "Hand gun qualification" certificate though they denied me after I tried to purchase a handgun. That was (40) years ago how long can this be held against me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I talked to an assistant, gave my info and are waiting to hear from the lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 65 years old retired after 42 years of federal service six years Army National Guard and honorably discharged.

9/27/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
A person that is deemed an "unlawful user of a controlled substance or addicted to any controlled substance", which is defined by 27 CFR 478.11, is precluded from possessing a firearm. This definition includes people who were convicted of possession of a controlled substance within one year or who have multiple convictions within the past five years.Therefore an older Single misdemeanor conviction should not defeat the application.For felonies there is a 20 year waiting period and then one can apply to remove the restriction. Please seehttp://ccresourcecenter.org/state-restoration-profiles/maryland-restoration-of-rights-pardon-expungement-sealing/
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer