Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Loan repayment. Texas. NO it was a personal loan made there

Loan repayment JA: What state are...
Loan repayment
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO it was a personal loan made there is evidence but nothing was signed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know what I can do to settle this reasonably at little expense.
9/27/2017
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. Can you please tell me how long ago the loan was made and how much was it for?

it was in mid August for 400 dollars with a promise to pay back in 30 days. At the end of the 30 days it was like a surprise to this person that it was time and how much so i went after her but i only got half of it back!

Thank you for your reply. When you say you went after her, did you sue her in court? Or she has only paid half back and you want to know if it's possible to get the rest?

I mean I reached out to her to get it and she told me I can give you 200 and the rest on that Tuesday when she hot her child support!?? Well tgat never happened I barely got the 200 I gave her 30 days for a reason I don't think she ever intended to repay me in 30 days bc she doesn't have it! She has also cut off contact with me and called my mom and told her tgat she is going to pay me and her back she owes my mom money as well but she never said wgen.

I see, thank you. That's what I thought you meant, but wanted to be sure.

You can sue her in Justice Court (like small claims) for the debt, but there are some things to consider if you do that. While small claims matters usually are heard more quickly than other court matters, have lower filing fees and you really don't need a lawyer, even if you can prove that there was an agreement and she never paid you back fully, the court can't force her to pay. If you win, you'll get a judgment - a court order that she has to pay the balance. But if she doesn't have the money, or simply chooses to avoid you and not pay, it could take a lot more of your time and money trying to have to chase her down to get that money from her. And, if she should ever declare bankruptcy, it would wipe out the judgment entirely.

I'm not suggesting you don't go after her, because quite honestly, I think it's not fair that she did this and she likely knew she couldn't pay you. I'm just giving you all the facts so you can decide for yourself.

Here's some information on Justice Court that might be helpful to you.

Ok that's fine the good thing about it is that she is my nieces mother so she will eventually rear her head with her hand out to my mom and I bc we have been helping this person since my niece was a baby she is 12 now. She is just embarrassed and ashamed right now. I know I will eventually get my money trust me this isn't the first time. I loaned her 200 a couple years ago she was supposed to pay me back at income tax tim. I didn't get it until August or September and I had to go after her for it and she gave me half and I had to keep asking her for the other half of it. So I didn't trust her one bit I went against my better judgement bc of my niece I am just really mad at myself for giving her that much money. So I need to send a message I want to put the dear in her she thinks she can just cut communication and payback just whenever she Can? She's lucky I have class and I am a mature lady, bc I could really handle this with street code in a way that would be bad for her!

You could also send something like a demand letter. Something like this -just tweak it for your own needs (you may have to register with that site to get free documents for 7 days, but just cancel within that time, they won't charge you. I know because I've used them).

And I understand wanting to help someone out -but I cannot tell you the amount of people I talk to whom have loaned money to family or friends and regretted it later when they never got paid. It's awful.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
I've seen those documents and I think I will send one I happen to have her address bc I am always sending my niece things from Amazon. I thought it'd be easier to just have things sent to her house instead of waiting until she was on our side of town at my mom's. I hate this situation all i ever try to do is help even though my motto is don't loan money, for this very reason. I just did it bc I could but never again that's for sure she's done damage with her behavior that has affected the whole family and her daughter is the one who gets the raw end of this.
Thank you very much for your assistance ����
Ok I will do that, thanks again!

My pleasure, thank you so very much!

Ok I gave you 5 stars even though I have already read somewhere everything you told me you just confirmed it lol thanks again!

No problem!

RobertJDFL, Attorney