I am a creditor in a chapter 7 adversary proceeding and I…

Customer Question
I am a creditor...

I am a creditor in a chapter 7 adversary proceeding and I wish to submit a motion to dismiss, what wording do I use?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Ohio Yes the defendants attorney has filed a motion to dismiss with summary judgement and a memorandum to support a motion of dismissal

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

I did call the bankruptcy court today and on those documents, the attorney stated the wrong case number, he put a civil case number ***** the clerk did not recognize

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

An adversarial proceeding is a sub-set of the bankruptcy proceeding; it is when a party files a complaint with the bankrupcy court seeking relief from the judge; it is assigned a different case number ***** may be the confusion as to the case number.

Rule regarding dismissal here

here

Sample motion here

dismissals

Sample order here

So the motion is labeled a Motion to Dismiss but one can provide more clarity - ie the basis on which the request for the dismissal is being requested.

This explains the guidelines for dismissal

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

When I called the bankruptcy court, she asked for the adversary case # ***** I gave her the case number ***** the defendants attorney listed on the Motion of Defandant to Dismiss by Summary Judgement and the memorandum in support of motion to dismiss and she stated that this was a civil case number, not the adversary# ***** the bankruptcy case #***** Will this void these motions since the correct number is ***** listed? Wondering if they don't correct with right case number ***** it is possible that they may miss the deadline to respond and that I would be awarded judgement? If that is not the case, I have decided not to move forward with my adversary complaint, and I need to notify the court, what wording should I use?

Normally when a case number ***** ***** so long as the party was served, the court can later amend the case number, and deem it a "scrivener's error". Or the court will use Rule 15 -the relation back standard- if an amended motion is filed, and then have the amended motion relate back to the first motion -that rule is discussed here:

http://www2.txwb.uscourts.gov/opinions/opdf/13-01052-hcm_Marshall%20v.%20Urban_2015-04-06%2011;22;05.pdf

If one wishes to dismiss the adversarial case, under Rule 41 it would be a Notice of Dismissal if no response was filed in that case; otherwise it would require a Motion to Dismiss either generally labeled, or based on the specific reasoning.