My son has been incarcerated, for 5 years, for the last year…

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been incarcerated, for 5 years, for the last year he has been dealing with medical conditions , and being told there is nothing they can do for him, he has seen a dr in there and they found something wrong with his groin area...he was diagnosed with what seems to be a varicose vein , which the medical physican said he needed an operation, it has now been over 3 months and no one has helped him...can you please lead me to an organization i can get in touch with to get him help, he is in pain cant sit and it hurts to stand, he is being released in dec, they keep putting this off and he can get no straight answer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It has been reported, he has seen the prision dr a few times and nothing, they give him no answers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, he is afraid that they will retaliate, because he gets out in dec

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

It is a civil rights violation for a prison to turn a blind eye to an inmate in serious need of medical care. Prisons don't have to offer them the same caliber of care that patients can get for themselves outside of prison walls, but the failure to provide at least adequate care is considered cruel and unusual punishment under the 8th Amendment to the Constitution.

To get something done, he'd need to involve a civil rights lawyer. The American Civil Liberties Union has been advocating nationwide for inmates' rights, including the right to adequate heath care in prison. Here's a link to the Pennsylvania branch. Report the problem to them. If they have too much on their plate to take on your son's matter, they should be able to give you the name of a lawyer in the area who can assist.

Best of luck to your son.