If i deside to leave country can i start to get my social…

Customer Question
If i deside to...

If i deside to leave country can i start to get my social securiti benefit now

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not 62 years old.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 8 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

The earliest age at which you can begin receiving your Social Security retirement benefits is 62. You can apply for your benefits 3 months before you turn 62 if you want your payments to start at that age, however.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) will send checks to anyone who is eligible for benefits and is living abroad. However, there are a few countries where the SSA is not allowed to send checks. Retirees who move to Cuba or North Korea cannot receive any checks while they are in either country, but they can get any withheld checks if they go to a country where paychecks can be sent. In addition, the SSA generally does not send Social Security checks to Cambodia, Vietnam, or areas that were in the former Soviet Union (other than Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Russia), but retirees may be able to apply for an exception. In such cases, retirees may have to agree to certain conditions, such as appearing in person at the U.S. embassy each month, to receive benefits.

Retirees who are U.S. citizens are entitled to continue receiving benefits for as long as they live outside the United States.

The rules are quite complicated; the Social Security publication Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States explains in detail what restrictions citizens of individual countries are subject to. The SSA Web site also offers beneficiaries a payment screening tool that tells them whether they will be entitled to benefits if they remain outside the country for more than six months.

I just realized the link to the pamphlet I mentioned above didn't work. This is the link to the pamphlet about receiving benefits while residing outside the U.S. While the U.S does not typically send payments to people in the Ukraine, you can get an exception, though as noted in the guide, you will need to personally appear at the U.S. Embassy every 3 months to maintain the benefits.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating. You may be unaware, but experts are not employees of this site and receive no salary. We answer questions in good faith that customers will reciprocate in kind by leaving a positive rating. Thank you!