We are putting my brother in a nursing care facility. His…

Customer Question
We are putting my...

We are putting my brother in a nursing care facility. His son will have to get both medical and legal power of attorney. We are concerned if my brother poor credit rating and bad debts will be transferred to my nephew.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Georgia nothing has been filed yet. We are filling out papers this week. We understand, per the nursing home that we can print the forms from internet and have a notary on hand to witness.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I am not sure I understand this question, evidence of what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't want my nephew responsible for any debts my brother incurred before the power of attorney was signed.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is no, the nephew will not have the bad debts or poor credit transfer to him. The only time this will happen is if the nephew voluntarily agrees to guarantee your brother's payments. Otherwise, the nephew will only be responsible for managing your brother's finances and nothing more.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.