I am a live-in caregiver. We are not related. We recently…

Customer Question
I am a live-in...

I am a live-in caregiver. We are not related. We recently moved from a nonsmoking apartment complex. The man i take care of smoked inside the apt. I explained the rules and told him he would have to pay to paint and replace items. He made the decision to smoke. I did not smoke. The apartment complex is holding me responsible for the cost. Payments are being made by him, but it's on my record. Is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. Because it's not being paid in full, they sent it to an outside collection agency.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Where can i find the legal documentation stating caregivers aren't responsible for financial costs in this type of situation. Thank you so much for your help.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you listed as a tenant on the lease?

.

.

thanks