I got ran over on video on August 23,2014 on personal

Customer Question
I got ran over...

I got ran over on video on August 23,2014 on personal property where someone rented a room from owner but owner lives on property also am I able to get some compensation from home owner cause the person who hit me is currently in prison for 4 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just to the police that night but no home owner claim

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

A homeowner unfortunately is not automatically responsible for the criminal actions of people who happen to be on their property, whether living there or not. The only way to hold them responsible is if you could show that they made some sort of specific promise to you to protect you while you were there, or if the person who harmed you was the owner's minor child. It doesn't sound like either of those applies.

On top of that, the statute of limitations for personal injury in California is only 2 years, so I'm afraid it's too late to sue the homeowner now.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?