I am a Care Coordinator. I have a client who is very close…

Customer Question
I am a Care...

I am a Care Coordinator. I have a client who is very close to being IDD but is not quite. Her doctor, Dr. Sara ****** and her psychologist both have asked that I obtain a State Guardian for her. However, I have filled out the application and Donna ******* has also filled out the application but the Homer Court insists that a fee (I think $125) be paid by the filer in order to proceed. Office of Public Advocacy advised that the fee could be waived. None of the people wanting her to have a legal protector are petitioning to be her guardian. I have turned this in to the CRI reporting system in May of 2017 and not heard anything back. I filed another request with them on 9/23/2017. However, her doctor called again on 9-25-17 and is quite concerned that she does not have a guardian for health purposes yet. How can I or someone make this happen without paying a fee to Homer Court System?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

She is having renal failure and needs dialosys but her doctor and psychologist do not think she has the capacity to understand what this is all about. Should they just allow her to die of renal failure? No one wants to be accused of causing her death because preventative measures were not taken.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I called Alaska Legal Services but they will not answer unless an application for services is submitted. Alaska Legal Services secretary in Anchorage suggested I try this website for an answer as to how to obtain a guardian for health purposes for this client.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of....

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

The fee is $100 and it can be waived indeed. This is the form for the fee waiver:

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/webdocs/forms/tf-920f.pdf

It has to be filled out, including all financials, to determine if the filer meets the requirements to have a fee waiver.

If you want to do this, or if the other person wants to file for guardianship, the person who files must pay the fee or must get the waiver.

For clarification purposes, did you want to continue filing for guardianship or did you want the other person to do so? This would be the form to fill out.

Usually, you file the TF-920 with your complaint and other papers when you go to open your case. The court will hold on to your complaint until after the judge rules on the waiver. If it is granted, a summons will be issued. You cannot serve the other party until after you get the summons, and you will not get a summons until after the TF-920 has been ruled on. At some courts, you must return to the court to get your summons, other courts will issue it automatically after the waiver is granted.

Check with your local court to make sure you understand the procedure in using this form and getting the summons.

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Let me know if you need names of lawyers and I can help you if you let me know where you live.Thanks!

FamilyAttorney

FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer