This all started on Feb 14 this year when I posted (just a…

Customer Question
This all started on...

This all started on Feb 14 this year when I posted (just a joke) on social media that I was annoyed because I'd been finding a lot of bug bites which seemed to be happening in my sleep and my roommate (at the time) commented on the post, flying off the handle how I "brought bed bugs over from my parents' house" and that we needed to check the beds, alert tge office, call a exterminater, blah blah blah just going on the on for several long comments. Before I was aware of it, my mother who suffers from SEVERE depression/anxiety called me in hysteric tears apologizing for being such a "horrible housekeeper and mother" and hung up on me. I deleted the post and told my roommate she had no right to post that and needed to call my parents and apologize immediately which she never did. Two hours later I received a text message from her mother saying that I had three days to leave the apt (had to pull $1000 out my rear for a moving company) with all my things because I was a "horrible friend" and was now apparently responsible for bed bugs and if I even spoke to my roommate I would speaking to her attorneys, and needed to pay for bed bug treatment. ($450) Six months later, (when the lease was actually up) I received a letter claiming that my cat and I are solely responsible for over $1000 in damage to the apt and had one month to pay or she is filing a lawsuit. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Were you given any breakdown as to what the $1000 was for?