How do the new law on lane splitting (AB 51) apply to travel…

Customer Question
How do the new...

How do the new law on lane splitting (AB 51) apply to travel in the break down lane?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I have been told riders have been cited. No mention in the cvc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is informational only. No citation or violation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley

what is your specific question?

Under the new lane splitting law, can travel in the breakdown lane be considered legal?

at this point the answer is, maybe, unfortunately

AB51 only allowed for lane splitting but did not enact exact guidelines. AB-51 is below

SECTION 1.

Section 21658.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

21658.1.

(a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.

(b) The Department of the California Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist and the drivers and passengers of the surrounding vehicles.

(c) In developing guidelines pursuant to this section, the department shall consult with agencies and organizations with an interest in road safety and motorcyclist behavior, including, but not limited to, all of the following:

(1) The Department of Motor Vehicles.

(2) The Department of Transportation.

(3) The Office of Traffic Safety.

(4) A motorcycle organization focused on motorcyclist safety.

from what I can research I do not that they have enacted specific laws at this point regarding lane splitting

I do not think they are going to allow it in the break down lane since all of the literature I am seeing is about driving between two lanes of traffic and not to one side of traffic which is the break down lane

if I had to guess only police and emergency vehicles will be allowed to use the break down lane

can I assist you further?

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer