Im applying a lettter of administration for my brother

Customer Question
Im applying a lettter...

Im applying a lettter of administration for my brother passed away in Saskatoon July 2017, I know there is a filing fee but I do not know the amount from his profit sharing

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Im in Washington state USA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a letter from Manulife asking for a letter of administration cause there is no will and then they will issue the check to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will ask questions when she probes me, thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

What is your question?

I need to apply for a letter of Administration in behalf of my brother who passed away in Saskatoon Ca july 2017 and I live in Washington state USA

I see that you requested a call. For some reason payment did not go through for the call. That happens sometimes. Please call customer service at 1(###) ###-####.

OR We can continue to post at no additional charge.

In the meantime California has an excellent self help system. You can find the forms that you need here:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/8865.htm

As to any assets where there is a named beneficiary (life insurance, IRAs, 401ks, profit sharing) those assets do NOT pass through the estate. Rather they go directly to the named beneficiary. You need to present the documents that the financial institution requires. So you need to deal directly with them.

You may have to travel to California to file the papers and obtain the letters of testamentary. The letters combined with certified copies of the death certificate will allow you to complete transactions on behalf of your brother's estate.