If a businessman is under investigation by the FBI, can his…

Customer Question
If a businessman is...

If a businessman is under investigation by the FBI, can his property be seized? What about bank accounts? Also would his wife be suspected? And if so, would they be able to take the house that is in her name?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I'm an author in the middle of my latest book.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was hoping you could help me

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hopefully you are not the one that is having to go through this. However, the FBI has a lot of authority to do certain things to help closed investigation. For example, if it is necessary for the FBI to seize property or to close a bank account temporarily, then they can get a court order to do so. If there's no reason for them to do so, then they won't do so. They will only suspect a spouse if they believe the spouse has information that will lead to the arrest of the person that they are trying to apprehend. This means that they may speak to the wife about what's going on even if they don't believe that she had any involvement. It is very common that many spouses don't have any idea of what their spouses doing if it is illegal. In addition, spouses cannot be forced to testify against one another so even if they do suspect her, they'd have to suspect her individually on her own merit because they would not be able to force her to testify. If she had a home in her name, they wouldn't be able to ordinarily take the house unless they get a court order and unless she was under investigation. It is possible that they may get a warrant to search the home, but it is not likely that they would seize the home entirely. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.