I purchased a vehicle from a family member and neither of us…

Customer Question
I purchased a vehicle...

I purchased a vehicle from a family member and neither of us knew we needed a Notarized bill of sale. Can a bill of sale be notarized after the date of sale listed on the title

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Missouri the car is 1993 Buick

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand what you mean has anything been filed or reported

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes it can, here are the items needed to transfer title.

Buying a MO Vehicle

You will have 30 days to title your vehicle and pay the taxes once you make a purchase. To complete the titling process, you will need to go to your local MO DMV office and submit:

• A completed vehicle title signed by the seller of the vehicle, OR a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin for new cars purchased from a car dealer.
  • A completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
    • Make sure to check the “New Plates" box if you are registering the vehicle at the same time.
    • Check off the “Title Only" box if you do not want to register the vehicle right away.
  • A notarized Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to Add/Remove Name from Title (Form DOR-4809), if required.
  • Proof of MO auto insurance.
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection and odometer inspection, if the previous title is not from Missouri.
  • Proof of a safety and/or emissions inspection from an authorized inspection station, if required (see “Vehicle Inspections" below).
  • Odometer disclosure statement (Form 3019), if the vehicle is less than 10 years old and is 16,000 lbs. or less.
  • Payment for your titling fees and taxes (see “Vehicle Titling Fees" below).

Take the Bill of Sale here with you once completed.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

neither the seller or I knew that we needed a notorized bill of sale. The vehicle was sold in August can the bill of sale still be notorized

Yes it can , it is not a problem to do it later here.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.Have a great day, let me know if you have more.

Ray, Lawyer