I am wondering if I have any recourse to punish businesses…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if I have any recourse to punish businesses that have sent me to collection agencies, doing serious harm to my credit rating, while all along knowing their monies are tied up in litigation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Michigan, and I received another notice in the mail yesterday. I have a legal firm handling my law suit, and they have notified they companies of the situation. I have told them that if this nonsense continues that I would seek legal assistance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The circumstances. I was being xfered via ambulance from one hospital to another on 12/28/15, where I was to spend up to, but no longer than, 21 days recouping from surgery. That ambulance rolled over 3 times with me in it and I spent 7 months in the hospital, flat lining, blood transfusions, the nine yards. I don't know anything other than my credit rating, which I've always been very protective of, has plummeted.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

What do you mean by "knowing their monies are tied up in litigation"?

What type of debts are these?

medical - hospitals, ambulances and doctors
pain and suffering - on going but not in question as to my complaint just the 2 types of litigation on going the the ambulance companies insurers
not interested in phone calls presently as I'm tied up with medical supplier questions right now as well as awaiting a call from home care.

Unfortunately, there is no exception in the law for "amounts in litigation". Under your facts, you could make an argument that the ambulance company shouldn't be able to make any negative remarks or affect your credit rating under what is known as "unclean hands", meaning they caused the problem. However, that wouldn't apply to the doctors, hospitals, any ambulances used before the wreck, etc.

The pain and suffering and additional monies you think you may get through litigation have nothing to do with the creditors right to report late payments or no payments. There is no exception which forces them to wait until later for their money. Often you can gt them to agree if your lawyer gives them a "letter of protection" but that is voluntary and is a form of contract as opposed to something they are required to do.

As I said above, I don't do telephone calls anyway.

Companies that sent me to collections.
Michigan Anestiologist Assoc. (not sure of spelling) while having 20+ surgeries and while in the hospital for 10 months mistakenly billed me for one of the surgeries and not the other 19+. As I was in the hospital they received no response and sent this one bill to collections. Their response upon my release was basically "whoops". Have heard nothing since but have the credit zing.
Ambulance company. same issue while still in the hospital they put me in, sent me to collections while aware of litigation. Nothing since but another credit zing.
The hospital I was taken to from the ambulance site, (had to be taken to closest one first) was aware that this was an accident and an insurance issue, sent me to collections anyway. Nothing heard from them after learning their fees where tied up in litigation. I still got the credit zing. Now they have sent me to collection again where I'll get another zing. I have told my lawyers about this newest issue.
I'm tired of having my credit rating destroyed, and the issues that introduces into my life, while not getting billed from these people, just sent to collections. I wanted to know if I have any legal recourse.

No, nothing that is likely to work other than what I have given you above.

There is no law that says they have to bill you, make sure you get the bill, bill you repeatedly, wait for you to collect money from a lawsuit (or anywhere else).

If the amount is incorrect and you dispute it and it is corrected then any zing you received due to the incorrect bill should be removed by the credit reporting agency (CRA). If the creditor doesn't correct the incorrect amount then they can be sued under the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act.

While I understand why you feel it is unfair, the law doesn't say that collection attempts must be put on hold while the debtor is in the hospital or that the creditors must make sure you know of the bill.

Thank you, ***** ***** a retired metal stamping guru. One of the best I understand in the industry, or rather, was. I am expert in forming metal for the automotive industry. As for the law and legal issues I am completely naïve. So once again thank you. I am learning how my litigation is a 3 year ordeal on average. Strange to a man of my stripe, but apparently not to you. Obviously I didn't hear what from you I had hoped to hear. But fairness is not in the legal lexicon.
However you did school me on this issue and for that I'll remit to you whatever it is that I owe for this information.

No, three years isn't at all unusual. I had a wreck case once that I pushed to take to trial ASAP and the fastest I could get it there was 11 months. I've seen others that are 7 or 8 years old.

I do wish you the best and if I think of anything else I'll comeback to this question and post it. Once you issue your 5 tar Positive Rating the thread locks open so either of us can come back to it anytime in the future.

In the meantime, talk to your lawyers about doing letters of protection (LOP) and them asking the providers to withdraw any negative comments if they give them the LOPs. That can help with the credit score although it doesn't do anything to punish them.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.