We are trying to collect money from a contractor who did a…

Customer Question
We are trying to...

We are trying to collect money from a contractor who did a horrible job on our patio project and we are going to have to have someone else come in and fix his mess. I want to send a letter requesting compensation of $4,000 from the first contractor to cover the expense of the new contractor to fix the problems. I would like a lawyer to draft and send the letter so the contractor knows we mean business. I am wanting to try and settle this out of court if possible. I don't know any lawyers to contact.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but have not filed any small claims yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really unless he needs to know that the contractor did not have our project completed by the due date and still was not finished with it when we let him go. We informed him we would be asking for compensation to have someone else fix the problems he made.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Unfortunately, we aren't able to draft letters on your behalf because the website does not engage in an attorney-client relationship with the customers. However, I do have something that may be able to help. This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach, which would include the difference in what you paid the contractor and what you had to spend to fix their error. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.