I would like to change my son's last name. How do I go about…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to change my son's last name. How do I go about doing that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I am just starting the process and don't know the steps on what needs to be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father and I agreed that it is best he terminate his rights. How would we do that?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Are you looking to change his last name or terminate his parental rights? These are two separate issues.

I'd like to do both, but first terminate his rights, which he has agreed to.

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond.

It is possible for the father to terminate his parental rights voluntarily but the final decision, will be up to the Judge. In Texas, one way for terminating parental rights is for the parent(s) to sign an affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights. An affidavit of voluntary relinquishment must contain some very specific information about the child, the parents and the guardians of the child, a statement that the parent relinquishing her rights has been informed about her parental rights and duties, a statement that the affidavit is either irrevocable for a stated period of time or revocable, and a statement that designates someone else as the managing conservator of the child. The statement may also include a waiver of service in a termination suit. The affidavit cannot contain any provision for post-termination contact between the parent and the child. The affidavit must be signed before a notary and witnessed by two credible, disinterested witnesses.

The signing of an affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights does not immediately terminate the parent-child relationship. Instead, it provides a basis for the court to enter a judgment of termination. The court must also find that termination is in the best interest of the child, even with an affidavit relinquishing parental rights, in order to terminate. As such, all parties will have to go before the Judge to explain the situation and why this should be done. During the process, if this will end up being granted, you can also motion the court to change the child's last name, as a result of this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!