My mom passed away sept 11 2017. I reside here in mi my

Customer Question
My mom passed away...

My mom passed away sept 11 2017 . I reside here in mi my brother in oragan. when my mom died my brother came in for 2 days left hired a lawyer. he has made his self the executive for instate, no will. I am the eldest and took care of my mom all this time. Do I need a lawyer? what power does he have now. I cant afford a lawyer I quit both my jobs to take care of my mom.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

As far as???

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing even from my brothers lawyer but letters from family stating I took care of her all her clinics and pharmacy delt with me my brother took all my moms papers even the title to her house she had no beneficiaries

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Your brother HAS NO POWER until he has filed Petition to Probate the Estate and ask that he be appointed the Representative of the Estate and the Court grants his Petition. He must serve you a copy of the Petition so that you can file objection to it and ask the Court to appoint you the Administrator of the Estate (Representative of the Estate).

Your brother has no power to change any title to your mother's property without the consent of the Court and the beneficiaries of the estate. Since your mother passed without a Will, you and other siblings and children of the siblings who passed before your mother are beneficiaries of his estate.

In the alternative, you can file for the probate of your mother's estate and ask to be appointed the Representative of the Estate. You can obtain Petition forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. This would be the Probate Court in your County.

You may contact legal aid services in your area for assistance with the case.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.