I will be 18 in oct....I am on 5 month probation for

Customer Question
I will be 18...

I will be 18 in oct....I am on 5 month probation for possession of marijuana....I am living with my boyfriend and po says I cannot stay over night with him because of his court problems. How long will it take for me to be emancipated and if I marry him can they keep us apart.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This is on consent decree from the court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I marry and become emancipated would charges not be expunged

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Once you turn 18 you are legally an adult and automatically emancipated. You also become emancipated if you marry your boyfriend, but you require your parent's permission to marry if you are under 18.

Also, (assuming you were charged as a minor) your record as a minor will be automatically sealed once you complete the terms of the probation. I am assuming that you have entered into a pre-trial diversion so that the charges will be dismissed once you complete probation. But if you were charged as a minor they have to seal the record anyway.

If you are 18 and do marry him they can not treat that a s a violation of probation.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer