I was terminated because I masturbated on the job

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 8 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. Are you asking if it is legal for the employer to have terminated you?

Good evening,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the answer is yes. In the absence of an employment contract or union agreement (which may give an employee more rights) you are considered to be "at will." This means that while you can simply quit without notice, an employer may also terminate you at any time, with or without cause, so long as it isn't done for an unlawful reason.

For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination (as all but the smallest employers are), you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.

There may be more facts I am unaware of, but given these limited facts, I would unfortunately have to tell you that your termination does appear lawful.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating. You may be unaware, but experts are not employees of this site and receive no salary. We answer questions in good faith that customers will reciprocate in kind by leaving a positive rating so that a portion of their deposit is released to us as payment. Thank you.