My apartment building management has told me that I am only…

Customer Question
Hello! My apartment building...

Hello! My apartment building management has told me that I am only allowed to use AT&T for my cable and internet due to their "infrastructure only supports one provider." AT&T is telling me that they do not have any sort of exclusive contract with my apartment building, so I should be able to use anyone I want.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a complaint with the FCC that AT&T has a monopoly over my apt building and they sent my complaint to AT&T, and AT&T emailed me to let me know that they don't actually have any sort of exclusive contract with my building so I should be able to use anyone that I want

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 10 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
The hoa cannot limit your internet provider. It has no added fees. If a competitor is offering better service or rates you are free to accept. If needed, You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I have a follow up question- I am a renter and so it is the building management company telling me I can only use AT&T and they are saying they can't allow other providers due to infrastructure of the building, but it is a newer building- built in 2010- so I have a hard time believing them because even older buildings allow more than one provider. Do I still have the same rights as a renter?
but procedurally you may want to see if you can get other residents to join you so you have more of a collective voice in pressing for this available addition which incidentally makes the property more attractive!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!