I bought a forfeited lot in Minnesota. How do I find out if…

Customer Question
I bought a forfeited...

I bought a forfeited lot in Minnesota. How do I find out if an association still owns the lot.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have a deed from the state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I owe $13,000 in asseccments

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The easiest way to find out if the association still owns the lot is if you check with your County Recorder or Assessor's Office. Because every plot of land has to be recorded when it changes hands, then the county is going to tell you who the last owner was. You could also hire a title search company to do a search for you if they have not already. I know that this is a short answer to your question, but it is usually the easiest and most efficient way to find out who the owner is. What other questions do you have for me?

DO i STILL OWE THE ASSESSMENTS

That depends. It is possible that by purchasing the property you were able to extinguish the assessments. Typically, if a property has assessments that are still owed on it, then the purchaser either takes the property subject to the assessments or with the purchase price they will end up paying off the assessments. I would probably recommend checking with the HOA to find out whether those assessments were paid in their books. What other questions did you have for me?