I want to add my fiancee to rental agreement in Los Angeles…

Customer Question
I want to add...

I want to add my fiancee to rental agreement in Los Angeles what is the best approach?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I tried to add it did not go well. I had a dog which was not part of the original leased. I was in the process of getting a permit for the dog to be a service dog, I ended up returning the dog to the shelter. My girlfriend now fiancee was staying with me and they are saying she

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She cannot.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Does your lease state that you are only allowed one person in your dwelling?

.

.

thanks

Ok, then you are kind of stuck here if you agreed to a lease that says only one person.. You wouldn't be allowed to add a roommate or the fiance to the lease as it is a legally binding contract that can only be modified if both sides agree. However, if you actually got married, then she could move in because the landlord can't prevent a spouse from living with the other spouse as that is illegal discrimination based on family status.

.

The new spouse would have to be added as either an occupant or a tenant on the lease contract.

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much