I just went through a divorce, paid off almost all my debt…

Customer Question
Quick Question. I just...

Quick Question. I just went through a divorce, paid off almost all my debt and for some reason I decided to check my credit score and realized I had 3 minor collections on my report and my score is low. being that my debt to income ratio is non existent and my debt is low is there any way for me to fix my credit and maybe have an attorney look at this for me? Short end of it is can an attorney fix my credit for me and get rid of any old stuff that is on it? Thanks! Jason

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

NH and I just checked my credit

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Its not listed on my report of who the 3 collections are..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know if there is any help that I can get to fix my credit report

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If the information is accurate there is really no need to invest in an attorney since they won't be able to do anything. If the debt is over 7 years old or is incorrect then they can write a letter to the Credit Reporting Agencies and ask that it be removed and cite the specific language from the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

You, or a lawyer, can also send a letter disputing those three collections and asking the CRA to remove them until they are verified. If you do that they are under a duty to verify the debt but verification doesn't mean providing you with copies of documents, etc. All they have to do to be legal is to contact whoever alleges they are owed and ask them "Are these correct?" If the creditor says "yes" then the debt is verified.

You may want to pick up a book on the topic of "credit repair", you can find several of them on Amazon, and they all have the steps you use. It is really one of the few things that won't make a difference whether a lawyer does it or you do it. That only changes if the information isn't verified or correct and they refuse to fix the mistake. At that point you get a lawyer involved to sue.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney