I have a question about renting some of my auto repair shop…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about renting some of my auto repair shop and whether the tenant can sign a liability release form that protects me if he has no insurance. I have the forms I can send that were signed if you want to see them.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Louisiana Kenner 70062

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Meaning?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do you want me to send the documents

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. The issue is that although the tenant can sign a liability release, which includes an indemnification provision, it's only contractually binding between you and the tenant. So, if a third party customer of this tenant suffers an injury, that third party is not bound by this agreement you have with the tenant and could file suit against you and the tenant. And, even though your agreement may call for the tenant to indemnify you, that indemnity is only as good as the tenant's ability to pay; if the tenant is broke, you're stuck with the liability to the third party. So, given this, I would insist that the tenant have adequate insurance that names you as an "additional insured."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Good evening. Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard

Richard, Attorney