My son paid a $40.00 application fee for an apartment that…

Customer Question
My son paid a...

My son paid a $40.00 application fee for an apartment that he was interested in. Per the realtor that was handling the property, the landlord denied his application with no reason given. My son told the realtor that the landlord had to give a reason. A week and a half latter, my son received a letter from the owner stating that my son was denied due to his FICO score. My son's score is between 720 - 722 depending on the credit bureau that he checked. We believe that the reason he was denied was because he has a 2 year old and this is a 2nd floor apartment. Is there anything he can go about this ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Under the Fair Housing Act, people cannot be discriminated against on the basis of family status. This means that a landlord cannot deny a person on the basis of the fact that they are married, unmarried, have a child, or don't have children. Depending on how far your son wants to go, he may be able to file a complaint with your local Department of Justice or with the Federal Department of Justice. If he wants to do it with the Federal Department of Justice, he can click here. What is likely to happen is that the government will conduct an investigation and determine if this is the case. If this person engages in a habit of discrimination, then your son may have a right to sue him on the basis of housing discrimination.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.