I need to remove my brother in law whom we helped out by…

Customer Question
I need to remove...

I need to remove my brother in law whom we helped out by letting him live with us but he gets drunk and has broken things off our wall. He only pays a small amount for food.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry, we live in MD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing. I just keep threatening to put him out

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Whenever someone moves in with you based on a mutual agreement, that creates an at-will tenancy. The law doesn't create any exceptions for family or a situation where someone moves in to another person's home. An at-will tenancy can be terminated by any of the parties at any time by giving proper notice. If he pays for food/groceries weekly, then you could give him 7 days notice to vacate. Otherwise, he's legally entitled to 30 days. The notice must be given in writing. If he doesn't leave, then you'll be able to go to court and file an eviction case to get him removed.

If the property is in Baltimore City, Takoma Park, or College Park, there may be additional local restrictions. Contact the city to see what they are.

If he stops paying his share, then you could file for eviction as soon as he misses a payment. The one drawback there is that, if he pays the amount owed before the court date, you'll have to let him stay for at least another month after you served a notice.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?