I have two adopted daughters that are in the juvenile

Customer Question
I have two adopted...

I have two adopted daughters that are in the juvenile justice system at the present. They have lied to the school officials and many others about me, their mother. One is on probabation and the other protective services at home. One had her school counselor write a letter to the judge stating several lies about our home. I went to the school to try and straighten it out and was only told that they could do this since my daughter told them. The things she said were lies, but the counselor made it sound like it was fact in the letter to the judge. Is there any legal thing I can do to the school for the slanderous letter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It was reported to DSS

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now, thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is one fault with the mandatory reporter system under the law. School employees are mandatory reporters, meaning if they receive a complaint of abuse from a student or merely suspect abuse, they HAVE TO REPORT and have no choice. There is no duty to investigate by the reporter, that is up to child protection to investigate.

So the school worker cannot change anything, they report what they were told by the student and they have satisfied the law and they are exempt from being sued for making these reports.

So you have to disprove the comments to DSS, but it is out of the school's hands.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

this was not a report of abuse. It was a character letter of support for my daughter which said lies about things I made her do

Thank you for your reply.

It was a letter reporting what your daughter said to the counselor. It is not up to the school employee to investigate what your daughter said, only to report what your daughter said, even if you are classifying it as a "character letter of support for my daughter."

If it is false, it is not up to you to convince the school employee of that, you have the absolute right to prove to DSS your daughter told the school employee false information. So your rights here are to present your proof to DSS not the school employee.