Recently my mother was admitted to a mental health hospital.

Customer Question
Hello, recently my mother...

Hello, recently my mother was admitted to a mental health hospital. She is under the 5150 hold at the moment which will end on Tuesday. I'm worried she will be put under the 5250 hold seeing as the hospital has a reputation of doing this and I don't think they have done a proper evaluation. Would I need legal help in order to have her released after the 5150 hold is over? I want to plan ahead

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. If she is going to be retained past the evaluation period on 5250 status there should be a hearing. She is entitled to an attorney to contest the findings of the evaluation and try to get her released. You should line one up as soon as possible. If you're not sure how to find an attorney who has experience in California's mental health law, contact the California Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service and they can find one for you. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral which inludes a free half hour consultation with the attorney.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.